Editing Comments/Messages once posted

Black Rock Rangers Forums Forum Protocols Editing Comments/Messages once posted

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kitsune 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    +1

WhoopD
    Participant
    2p
    East Bay

WhoopD here-

I recently started posting/responding (YAY for participation!) and am trying to figure out how to edit my comments. I was able to edit one of them but now that I go back I cannot. I have another comment I want to edit but cannot as well.

Any tips or suggestions? I know, I know….just read your post several times before submitting it is a great suggestion!

Also, I did a search on this prior to posting so I hope this isn’t more noise.

WhoopD – OUT

+1

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@WhoopD said:
    I recently started posting/responding (YAY for participation!) and am trying to figure out how to edit my comments. I was able to edit one of them but now that I go back I cannot. I have another comment I want to edit but cannot as well.

The option to edit your comments is closed after a set period of time. Why? Sometimes there are grammatical mistakes or the occasional typo that needs to be fixed directly after you post your response. I know that happens to me frequently. Having that window of opportunity allows you to go in and fix it.

So why not extend that indefinitely? There’s something to be said about owning your words and rewriting history. Changing or deleting posts from a conversation greatly ruins the discussion for those reading the thread later. That’s all sorts of lamesauce when a person self-censors the thread because they were unhappy with something they wrote drunk or emotionally charged.

In summary, for a brief period after you send your post you can edit the heck out of it. Anything longer and your words are cast in virtual stone…or until you write a new post denying everything you just said.

Kitsune
    Participant
    2p
    Mesa, Arizona

I am a participant in another large msg board, The Straight Dope, which is very (!) political. It has the same policy, a five minute window for editing then live with your post forever. It was levied because a few folks couldn’t resist stirring up a shitstorm with an outrageous posting then editing it to something innocuous to make the stormers look silly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.