February 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm #1719
I’m new to using this forum system, I’ve used phpBB a bit, so most of my questions will be directed to making my experience more like what I’m used to over there =)
1) is there a way for the system to flag or highlight threads/topics that have new postings since my last visit/haven’t been read by me? I see the ‘freshness’ field, but that requires me to remember when the last time I visited/read that sub-forum.
2) sorting, I’d like to have topics with newer posts, listed at the top of the list, rather than mixed in.
Thanks for the assistance and of course for making this happen.
dMFebruary 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm #1721
Good questions and I hope these answer them:
1.) Yeah, there is a little (perhaps too little) icon on the left of the topic title. Sorta look like a page in a circle. If that page is white, you’ve read it and there are no responses. If there is a new topic or new responses in a topic, there is something new.
2.) It does that now. However, you may be seeing subject that are Stickied at the top. If you can provide a snapshot of what you mean, please attach it.
So daMongolian has started a pretty good thread here. Any other ideas or suggestions? Can’t say that can all be implemented, but it’s darn possible I’ve overlooked something.February 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm #1728
1) ahhh… ok, I thought that might have something to do with it, thank you for helping decode it. (yes a bit small, if there’s any way to make it bigger, that might help) however, it doesn’t help on the main index pages as shown below:
2) ah!! I think the stickies are what I was seeing, I’ll wait as we get more users and posts, and see how it behaves and post back later.February 3, 2013 at 10:54 pm #1739
3) is there a way to make new posts in a thread, start at the top?February 4, 2013 at 8:24 am #1746
3) is there a way to make new posts in a thread, start at the top?
It’s rather difficult to follow the thread of a discussion when you’re starting from the end and working your way back. The movie Memento is an example of that. It sounds like another sorting feature that I can look into.February 4, 2013 at 9:50 am #1751+1
This topic is a great place to post research, too. Here are three plugins I’ve found that we might want to look into:
(already implemented) http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-ignore-user/
And I’ve done a bunch of hunting around for a plugin or other solution that would allow people to reply by email to a post and have that reply posted in the forum so that people can do everything by email. And I found a bunch of sharply worded conversations. All of them eventually agree that allowing this functionality is the quickest way to kill new forums, because people will reply instead of visiting and actually searching through previous posts.February 4, 2013 at 10:10 am #1752+2
snugglesParticipant2pFebruary 4, 2013 at 10:11 am #1753
@Easy E said:
We’ve got that already in use.
(please don’t ignore me)February 4, 2013 at 10:15 am #1755
Hey, I’m a big picture kind of Ranger, not a detail Ranger.February 4, 2013 at 10:33 am #1758
Many of the forums I’m on (mostly bbedit) have a “recent topics” or “active topics” list, sorted by date of most recent post. I don’t seem to see that here?
I also like “participated topics” – where I see a list of threads in which I’ve participated.
(Otherwise, thanks Flint, great work!)February 4, 2013 at 10:47 am #1760
old at the top is great for reading an entire thread, but new at the top is easier for catching up on what’s new, in a very long thread…. but it’s not likely we’ll have that many long threads…. right?
seriously though, ideally it should be user selectable, on the fly.February 4, 2013 at 11:15 am #1765+3
Is there PM functionality? What if I want to send a message to someone?February 4, 2013 at 12:01 pm #1772
Flint, the unread icon doesn’t at the top-level topics. That would be handy…February 4, 2013 at 12:22 pm #1775
this is turning into my top request too =)February 4, 2013 at 12:25 pm #1776
I just tried quoting Tool, and got a spew of HTML in the edit window, and the end result was a quote of the entire page, including headers and everything.
an improved quote function might be nice =)
The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.