Forum EOL

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  malware 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    +1

daMongolian
    Participant
    10p
    SF Bay Area

With the impending switch back to Allcom, from the forums, will the forums remain active in a read only format? there’s some stuff here that would be useful to retain….

dM

+1

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@daMongolian said:
    With the impending switch back to Allcom, from the forums, will the forums remain active in a read only format? there’s some stuff here that would be useful to retain….

Yes, the forum may be turned into a read-only format where new topics may not be created.

+1

Moxie
    Participant
    7p
    Bay Area

When I joined the rangers I was told to go to a certain yahoo group where rangers talk about gear. Unfortunately the moderator had lost his password so that didn’t happen. I think it could be useful to keep a couple of the gear threads open. Certain subjects are repeated every year and some smart ass always says why don’t you just search your e-mail for that info, we talked about it last year and the year before… except when you’re new it’s not in your e-mail and as someone who has been inspired to link to the chicken sandwich thread at least twice (shiny pennies always feel so bad the first time they make an ass out of themselves on the forums, I like to point out the shitshow experienced rangers can put on ;-) ) at any rate, my point is that it’s super annoying to look up past posts on allcom, especially when they pre-date you, so maybe we could keep a few relevant topics open like gear, so we can all get our spork on and then refer people back to it. I know they won’t, but then I can say “neener neener you should have”.

+1

Turtle Dove
    Participant
    2p

here here.if the past posts searches are being streamlined though it might help. the problem with splitting this all up though is people take sides…so if we leave the forum open those people will refuse allcom and visa versa? I like forums…..so I don’t know. wish this had worked better somehow. maybe next time.

I think the biggest mistake made was getting rid of allcom when the forum started. it made the forum look bad.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Turtle Dove.
    +1

Tulsa
    Participant
    7p

>> could be useful to keep a couple of the gear threads open
    >> if we leave the forum open those people will refuse allcom and visa versa

Yes, if any part of the forum remains open, that’s where I will hang out. I don’t think we can have it both ways.

The Will of The Rangers Has Spoken, and It Will Be Allcom. With all of its past-millennium shortcomings, it is the medium that more Rangers prefer. Splitting our conversations into two disconnected locations seems counter-productive.

There were several mistakes made in the roll-out of the forums, but it’s unlikely to be helpful to re-hash the past. We are committed to the future, which is the email list.

Two days until Allcom comes back… Get ready for all the juicy threads that are coming to your mailbox on Saturday!

- Tulsa

Sasquatch
    Participant
    8p

I don’t understand why we can’t have BOTH. Allcom doesn’t handle attachments at all and a good deal of what we discuss can benefit from photos and other attachable content. Also, many prefer the Forum format for their comm’s.

If everyone has both they can respond as they wish and as appropriate.

Is it TRULY a binary choice?

Sas

+1

malware
    Participant
    1p

It seems like the features of the forum we really want is the archive and searching. I’m wondering why we can’t have something that takes ALLCOM messages and feeds them to the FORUM. (And the only way one can add to the FORUM.)

- Malware

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.