Hey, what would it take to switch from the forum back to Allcom?

Black Rock Rangers Forums Forum Protocols Hey, what would it take to switch from the forum back to Allcom?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Tulsa 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author

riffraff
    Participant
    2p
    Near Seattle

Hate to say it but this new setup is working pretty damned well for me. I like the notifications through email & I really,really like the S/N ratio. I’ve set up memorized passwords on all my browsers so it’s not a biggie to get to the right thread when I get excited enough to reply but there’s just enough friction to make me think before blabbing like a fool. Well, at least from my own perspective.

Previously i was maintaining a lot of temporary filters to sort chaff from the good stuff and there was a LOT of chaff. Call me archaic but any version of Outlook at 2007 or beyond runs rings around Gmail for that. But this is nicer and it works better with my Mac email client.

Tulsa
    Participant
    7p

Riffraff said:

>> Hate to say it

Herein lies a problem. When folks are hesitant to talk about something that genuinely needs discussion, we need to ask ourselves why that is the case.

If the answer is that 130 Rangers are bitching about it on Facebook and they don’t want to get flamed (the other meaning of flame, not FLAME) for a differing opinion, then we need to question our motives for having online communication tools like the forum, the email list, and Facebook.

I’m not really looking for replies, just asking folks to give this some thought.

- Tulsa

Reframe
    Participant
    2p

Well there’s your problem, ma’am. That’s not a flogger…that’s a (really thick) riding crop. That’ll never work.

Belmont
    Participant
    3p
    Oakland, California

Actually, I think Nekkid’s idea is a brilliant one.

jc
    Participant
    2p

Allcomm – J.C.

I’ll bite.

My opinion is that the forum is LESS of a benefit to the organization than the email list was, that is assuming that a goal is open discussion. We have seen that the end result has a huge dropoff in discussion. The end result, from a personal perspective, is a substantial disconnect with the rangers in specific, and even with TTITD in general.

I have no problem reading the emails that get generated via the forum posts now that the threading issue has been solved (although a portion of the time the initial post in a forum thread never generates an email.) But I spend a significant amount of time communicating/operating electronically, and I choose not to waste that additional 30-60 seconds per topic I’d like to respond to by having to go through the process of accessing the forum. (And if you multiply this added time across the # of person-posts and you have a sizable added waste of time across our largish set of rangers. A decrease in efficiency.

One of the arguments in favor of the forums is the ability to avoid repeating similar topics (that more veteran rangers may be tired of rehashing.) But it seems that even with the forums we are seeing ‘noise’ regarding things that have already been covered, aren’t we?

Another argument is that people’s inboxes were overfilled with allcomm email. I did see this firsthand as well (via someone’s outlook express client.) And I think there may have been rangers who read email with something that supported threading, but may have not cared to filter alcomm to a folder or somesuch. This would seem like we are punishing the entire organization to accommodate the actions of a subset.

People mentioned Facebook as an alternative place where communication is currently happening. But consuming information there is inefficient as well, and as such less desirable.

So I guess my point is that my vote would be for a return to allcomm as an email list. I know my participation via the forums has, and will continue to be, extremely minimal.

J.C. out.

sharpstick
    Participant
    0p

” . . . if anything strikes me as interesting (like this thread), it takes me 2.3 seconds to click on the link right there in the email and log in to the forum.”
    does anyone know why that doesn’t show up as a clickable link in my (thunderbird) emails? the text is there, but it is not clickable. I have to copy and paste into the browser.
    (all the other links that people paste in are clickable.)
    this would make the forum just a little bit more usable.

jc
    Participant
    2p

Allcomm – J.C.,

Would this be helpful??

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/text-link/?src=search

P.S., the emails are sent as HTML formatted emails, and the link in @pps original email is a proper href (and thus should be clickable in any modern day client.)

J.C. out.

<cite>@sharpstick said:</cite>
    ” . . . if anything strikes me as interesting (like this thread), it takes me 2.3 seconds to click on the link right there in the email and log in to the forum.”
    does anyone know why that doesn’t show up as a clickable link in my (thunderbird) emails? the text is there, but it is not clickable. I have to copy and paste into the browser.
    (all the other links that people paste in are clickable.)
    this would make the forum just a little bit more usable.

sharpstick
    Participant
    0p

seems like it should have, but didn’t. thanks anyway.
    maybe when new posts come through it will take effect.

Apparatus
    Participant
    14p
    Portland, OR

Love the good discussion here and on Facebook about all of this.

So why don’t we have our cake and eat it too?[1] Is it not technologically viable to have the current forum (New Allcom) and an opt-in option for a push email with responses (Classic Allcom)? I think it is. Is the issue merely not allowing Rangers to hit reply without a click wall? Does something that simple make us that much less douchey to each other? Is it possible that knowing our doucheyness might be in a neat and tidy little well-organized searchable folder for all perpetuity give us real pause?

Either way, I want my cake. I want to eat it too. I like cake. The cake is truth.

love,
    @pp

[1] A saying that has always bothered me since one can’t eat cake that one doesn’t have. Further, I seriously question the utility of inedible cake.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    +1

taoskye
    Participant
    1p

Ok, I will bite. I don’t love the forums.

Allcom was not good or bad. It just amplified the voice of our community whch can range from amazing to downright regrettable. No technology will ever make ranger communication more civil, insightful or brief than our community chooses.

I believe that some very dedicated volunteers implemented changes for a number of reasons. I think they addressed a lot of issues related to dealing with images, searchability and many other things. In the process, a large percentage of our user base stopped talking to each other. I think that conversation was actually the point of allcom. (Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

Is this any different than making art that people do not feel like they can interact with?

Nekkid
    Participant
    5p

<cite>@k8 said:</cite>
    You mean digging up the dead horses so that they can be flogged again?

I’d say that we did a pretty good job of digging up dead horses and beating them once once more on the old Allcom, seems like people are missing their ability to do that :p

And rather than just dig it up and beat it again, I’m thinking plastination and vivisection this time.

+2

BumbleBee
    Participant
    6p

I preferred Allcom the email list. I didn’t like the whining about off-topic posts and dead-horse-topics. Not the off- or dead-horse-topics themselves, the posts complaining about them which always seemed to create more noise (and negativity) than the thing they were complaining about, and had a chilling effect on communication.

But with Allcom, I had much better interaction and could choose to respond to individuals directly, conveniently, while keeping that within the thread of my email, etc. I could sort and archive and search topics easily in my email client. I could, theoretically, read Allcom offline and draft replies offline (perhaps good, perhaps bad if the conversation has moved-on in the meantime). Did I ever email a response that was regrettable? Oh, sure, but I also exercised the choice to draft response that I never saved, deciding whether to send later or not (often not, at least as drafted).

And I was originally a proponent of forums, when I first joined Allcom, before I learned how to sip from the fire hose. I think the equivalent of a Google group–a group one could fully interact with either via email or a searchable forum–would be the best middle ground compromise. Especially if the long years of Allcom archives could be imported. (Yes, I know, have to keep the service in-house, I am saying the equivalent of, not to actually use a Google group, although that level of functionality would be awesome!)

-B.

Easy
    9p

Bumblebee, you raised a really good use case I hadn’t thought of, which is replying to an individual. Has anyone found a way to do that with the forums?

Monochrome
    Participant
    4p

Check your email, but the ultimate answer is “not well or easily”.

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@Easy E said:
    Bumblebee, you raised a really good use case I hadn’t thought of, which is replying to an individual. Has anyone found a way to do that with the forums?

With private communications (we don’t have private messaging on the site currently), you may find the person’s email you’d like to respond to off the forums by selecting their name/avatar. It’ll bring you to their account page that includes their email address (plus any other optional social network they may have included.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.