I'm Just an Alpha

Black Rock Rangers Forums Alphas I'm Just an Alpha

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  flint 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

Ranger Geo rewrote the Schoolhouse Rock classic to illustrate to potential Rangers what to expect from the training and mentoring process.

Boy: Whew! You sure gotta walk through a lot of dust to get to this Ranger HQ here in Black Rock City. But I wonder who that sad dusty person is?

Alpha: I’m just an Alpha.
    Yes, I’m only an Alpha.
    And I’m sitting here in Ranger HQ.
    Well, it’s a long, long journey
    To Black Rock City.
    It’s a long, long wait
    While my Mentors talk about me,
    But I know I’ll be a Ranger someday
    At least I hope and I pray that I will
    But today I am still just an Alpha.

Boy: Gee, Alpha, you certainly have a lot of patience and courage.

Alpha: Well, I got this far. When I started, I wasn’t even an Alpha– I was just a participant. Some folks at my theme camp liked how I helpful I was last year, so they posted on our email list and said, “You know, you oughta be a Ranger.” Then a few of them introduced me to some Rangers, and after talking to them I signed up for an 8-hour training and got on the Alpha email list. And I became an Alpha, and I’ll remain an Alpha until they decide to make me a Ranger.

I’m just an Alpha.
    Yes, I’m only an Alpha.
    And I got as far as Ranger HQ.
    Well now I’m here in training
    And I’ll participate
    While a few key Trainers discuss and debate
    Scenarios to train a Ranger.
    How I hope and I pray that I will,
    But today I am still just an Alph
    a.

Boy: Listen to those Trainers give feedback! Are all those scenarios about you?

Alpha: Well no, because it’s not about me. It’s about whether I can FLAME, and be of service to others when I am needed. Some Alphas never even get this far. They decide the time commitment is too much, or they realize they can’t handle conflicts, or they get swallowed up by a dust storm during their mentoring shift.

Boy: Mentoring shift?

Alpha: Yeah, after training we sign up for our mentoring shift. I and a few other Alphas will spend 3 hours with an experienced Ranger who acts as our mentor. Afterwards, we’ll spend another three hours with a different mentor. Two mentors are used to assure that the final decision will be fair– because some Alphas may not be compatible with every mentor.

Boy: Oh no!

Alpha: Oh yes!

I’m just an Alpha
    Yes, I’m only an Alpha
    And if I make it through my mentoring shift,
    Well then I’m off to HQ
    Where I’ll wait in the dust
    With a lot of other Alphas
    And we’ll all get discussed
    And if they say yes then I’ll be a Ranger.
    How I hope and I pray that they will,

Boy: You mean, even if all of Black Rock City thinks you’ll make a good Ranger, your Mentors can still say no?

Alpha: Yes, that’s called bonking. But if I get bonked, that isn’t the end. My Mentors will still encourage me and give me tips for improvement. And, I’ll be allowed to try again next year.

Boy: It’s not easy to become a Ranger, is it?

Alpha: No!

But how I hope and I pray that I will,

Mentors: Here’s your uniform, Alpha! Now you’re a Ranger!

Alpha: Oh yes!!!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  flint.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Alphas’ is closed to new topics and replies.