Making some sub forums public

Black Rock Rangers Forums Forum Protocols Making some sub forums public

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  daMongolian 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tomcat
    Participant
    2p

Any way to make the Gear sub forum public, so that info can be distributed to non rangers.

Monochrome
    Participant
    4p

Seems to me that making sub forums public even though the category is private is a recipe for things slipping in from of the curtain that were meant to stay behind. . . Wouldn’t reposting particularly good bits to the alpha forums do nearly as well?

Easy
    9p

Yeah, there’s no official policy on this idea at this time and it would probably need vetting at the Council level, so I’m curious to hear if there’s big demand for this.

Smitty
    Participant
    1p

Instead of changing how existing threads are displayed, why not create a new sub-forum called Public Information that is viewable to the public? I’m sure there are a hundred questions people ask regarding public safety (such as the locksmith wrangling thread) that we could post there.

Easy
    9p

well, that’s sort of outside of the original scope of the forums (or allcom before it).

allcom and the forums are intended as a way for us to stay in touch with each other throughout the year, and we have a separate email list and a dedicated forum for new volunteers.

but we mostly educate participants through messages in the JRS. we’ve never tried to setup a separate channel of outreach, and i’m not so sure we want to get into that area. would love to hear more reasons why this is a good idea.

daMongolian
    Participant
    10p
    SF Bay Area

this is strictly my opinion, but I think we ought to keep the forums closed to the public. That way we don’t need to police ourselves if talk starts to drift towards operational issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.