Site Updates

Black Rock Rangers Forums Forum Protocols Site Updates

Tagged: 

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Moxie 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    +1

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

Thank you for all of your stress testing on the site. I’ve been able to find some of the issues that you’ve been running into.

I’m actively rewriting the site from scratch(!) and will be releasing this shortly. There may be a brief downtime to transition the new site over.

+1

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

…and we’re back. You’ll notice several changes to the new site

• Fixed the quote and rating issue. No more site scrapping the whole site.
    • Recent topics and articles are on the sidebar.
    • Waaay smaller code base, which means this be easier to update in the future.
    • A bit more standardized with the WordPress default themes. This means that when folks make awesome plugins for the forum or updates to the software we use, less things will break. Trust me, this is a good thing.
    • Better looking user account area. It’s a minor thing and I looks better on the eyes.

As always, if you have any issues, please let me know.

Moxie
    Participant
    7p
    Bay Area

nice sidebar :)

+1

capnron
    Participant
    3p
    Boulder CO

But still no global e-mail subscription? Or notification of new topics?

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@capnron said:
    But still no global e-mail subscription? Or notification of new topics?

Working on it. The site has been running for approximately five days. Allow me a chance to sleep too ;)

Turtle Dove
    Participant
    2p

Also noticing it says key master under your name now flint :-) Personally I would like a title more like “rabble rouser” vs “participant”. Guess for now this will work though,   Also the sidebar is way cool! Great job!

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

I’ve added a new feature allowing you to add a signature below your topics and replies. You may find this additional tool under your user profile.

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

There is now a page that lists all active topics. This allows your to visually scan every new topic, no matter which forum in may be in. The little visual unread flags are coupled with this new feature. You’ll need to be logged in (hey, if you’re reading this, you’re logged in) to see the page.

http://rangers.burningman.com/active-topics/

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

As you’ve no doubt noticed, the discussion forum confabulations are pouring into the Allcom mailing list (durn kids better watch what they say on that new fangled medium!).

In several conversations with individuals – in addition to a number of recent discussions on Allcom – a unique solution of porting the content of the discussion forum into the mailing list was opined. The general thought is that Allcom would become a one-way mailing list, similar to the Announce list. This sounds like a great way to retain Allcom (with its constituency) and introduce the forum into it.

If you just want to read the messages, you don’t need to sign up for a forum account. You’ll receive the email messages as before. Really, there’s very little change and you still get all the messages.

If you’d like to respond to any of the messages, you’ll need to join the conversation on the forum. If you don’t already have an account, you may sign up for one at – http://rangers.burningman.com/wp-login.php?action=register

I’ve been pretty quick on approving your accounts once I receive the requests, but understand that there is a bit of delay as I occassionally sleep. So if it seems like you’re not seeing the whole forum, give me some time to flip the magic switches.

I’m still aiming to make the switch on March 1st and it seems like this is quite doable. Until that date reaches us, we have some time to suss out any issues. I really do appreciate the feedback and constructive critism that you’ve provided. As always, if you have suggestions that will improve upon what’s created, send ‘em my way.

+1

Turtle Dove
    Participant
    2p

Nooooooo! Please tell me we can turn this e-mail connection off! My inbox was so nice and clean and now it is flooded. I thought one of the best parts of the forum was NOT getting a flooded inbox… :-P

Turtle Dove
    Participant
    2p

Let me make that request a little more specific. How about I just switch which e-mail these updates arrive to? I can create a separate account…

OR is there a way to make the e-mails an option we can turn off and on? Sorry Flint I know you are working hard to make this right…but presently a lot of the appeal of the forum has been taken away by this one way e-mail notification.

Fez Monkey
    Participant
    2p
    San Francisco

Turtle Dove,

Don’t know which e-mail you use, but most allow you to set up a filter so you could send the forum msgs directly to designated folder (including trash).

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@Ranger Turtle Dove said:
    Nooooooo! Please tell me we can turn this e-mail connection off! My inbox was so nice and clean and now it is flooded. I thought one of the best parts of the forum was NOT getting a flooded inbox… :-P

If you don’t want to receive the messages from the discussion forum, you just need to unsubscribe from the Allcom mailing list – https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/rangers-allcom-list

Turtle Dove
    Participant
    2p

Fez Monkey,

Okay that does make good sense but my problem with the e-mail notification is a little beyond that now that I am taking some time to digest it. One of the nice things about a forum verses e-mail is that one can go on and respond to several topics…in some cases addressing one person…such as in the forum response I am writing presently. When doing so there is more of a freedom of expression than e-mail in the sense that you aren’t ‘bugging everyone’ on a forum like one would do with allcom. Not to mention on allcom I HAD the option to e-mail someone without hitting ‘reply all’ and instead hitting ‘reply to sender’. This new set up limits the appeal of the forum in the sense that I feel less likely to participate (as I have often felt on allcom) because now no matter what topic I respond to…it goes out to everyone. Seems to me like the whole thing brings with it more problems than solutions. Allow me to demonstrate.

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@Ranger Turtle Dove said:
    Fez Monkey,

Okay that does make good sense but my problem with the e-mail notification is a little beyond that now that I am taking some time to digest it. One of the nice things about a forum verses e-mail is that one can go on and respond to several topics…in some cases addressing one person…such as in the forum response I am writing presently. When doing so there is more of a freedom of expression than e-mail in the sense that you aren’t ‘bugging everyone’ on a forum like one would do with allcom. Not to mention on allcom I HAD the option to e-mail someone without hitting ‘reply all’ and instead hitting ‘reply to sender’. This new set up limits the appeal of the forum in the sense that I feel less likely to participate (as I have often felt on allcom) because now no matter what topic I respond to…it goes out to everyone. Seems to me like the whole thing brings with it more problems than solutions. Allow me to demonstrate.

Help me understand what your stating. You want to write a response in a forum that’s for all Rangers, yet you don’t want your message seen by all Rangers? You can’t have it both ways.

There currently isn’t a way for an individual to select which emails get sent to the mailing list, and one of the desires of being on the mailing list is that you receive all conversations. The onus of responsibility is placed upon the receiver on how they manage that. It’s hard for us to judge on what individuals may want, whether it’s gear reviews, Outpost questions, or the history of dot codes. That’s upon them; let them figure it out what they want to read.

I hope that this doesn’t limit you on what you’d like to provide into the forum. At least I hope it doesn’t censor your thoughts and you are still able to retain your freedom of expression.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.