Site Updates

Black Rock Rangers Forums Forum Protocols Site Updates

Tagged: 

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Moxie 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Turtle Dove
    Participant
    2p

Flint,
    It is not that I don’t want to be ‘seen by all Rangers’ its simply that in the end…I feel this will flood allcom excessively in some senses and also discourage responses in others. It’s like my grandmother says, ‘I hate to be a bother’.

Perhaps I am the only one feeling this way, in which case so be it, but I thought my ‘demonstration’ was a good example of what I meant.

I am trying to use foresight in this. Again as an avid forum user both for school and pleasure I would like to think my input here is somewhat valid. Then again perhaps this is the solution best for both those who prefer to receive e-mails and those who don’t as long as they set up their notices accordingly. I am not sure and the social experiment in communication shall continue. Just wanted to throw in my two cents worth.

To be quite honest this will limit my use of the forum for now. However I like to think this is all ‘in the works’…and for a little while I am going to sit back and observe.

Silent Wolf
    Participant
    3p

One of the things I’ve never liked about “AllComm” is that I can’t filter topics, I have to get everything that’s written (a lot of what I think is worthless) W/ a forum I can just subscribe to sub-forums, or threads, that I’m interested in.

I can choose to subscribe to a sub-forum like “Gear”, then everything written there I’ll get. Or I just reply/subscribe to a thread in that sub-, and I’ll get what’s replied after that. All as emails.

If I want to keep tabs on the rest of the forum, then I use the “Active Topics”. On some forums there is a 24 hour page. It lets you look back at every post in the last 24.

If I ever decide that a thread is no longer worth listening to, I unsubscribe. No more “Bacon” clogging up my comm channels ;)      W/ “AllComm” it all or nothing.

+1

Fuzzy
    Participant
    3p

So, I’m trying hard to understand this, but failing. To be clear (because I am a Bear of Little Brain), is there a way to keep getting updates on items I want to be updated on, but not get an email every time anyone posts anything anywhere? If so, what is it?

PS: For the record, for the non-technically-minded, this whole forum thing seems a lot less useful than Allcom. It will certainly reduce/eliminate my participation in most discussions (which may, in fact, be no big loss after all- was that the point?).

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@Fuzzy said:
    So, I’m trying hard to understand this, but failing. To be clear (because I am a Bear of Little Brain), is there a way to keep getting updates on items I want to be updated on, but not get an email every time anyone posts anything anywhere? If so, what is it?

PS: For the record, for the non-technically-minded, this whole forum thing seems a lot less useful than Allcom. It will certainly reduce/eliminate my participation in most discussions (which may, in fact, be no big loss after all- was that the point?).

How were you approaching the influx of email on Allcom before?

Alternately you can choose to subscribe to topics on the forum that interest you and filter out Allcom (or simply unsubscribe from the mailing list.)

+1

Fuzzy
    Participant
    3p

Right, but can I subscribe to specific forums, rather than having to check the site for threads and then subscribe to each individual thread? If not, it’s made my participation in Ranger discussions much harder. If so, please advise how.

+1

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@Fuzzy said:
    Right, but can I subscribe to specific forums, rather than having to check the site for threads and then subscribe to each individual thread? If not, it’s made my participation in Ranger discussions much harder. If so, please advise how.

It’s something I’m working on and isn’t an immediate feature.

capnron
    Participant
    3p
    Boulder CO

flint-

First of all, let me say that I like the allcom e-mail notification. Thanks.

The trouble is now, since I’ve posted to this topic, I’m now getting everything twice. I’ve gone to my profile, and it shows that I have posted, says its showing the post, but the rest of the page is blank. Also, I can’t find any way to unsubscribe from e-mail notification from this topic. I also looked under my profile to see what I’m subscribed to, and it says I am subscribed to 1 Forum Topic, says it’s displaying it, but the rest is a blank page, and I see no way to unsubscribe from the topic there.. How do I make this work?

Thanks.

-Cap’n Ron

Silent Wolf
    Participant
    3p

Cap’n Ron – right now I don’t know that we can after having submitted our reply,  . . . but before submitting, there is a check box bellow the “compose” field. It say’s ” Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, make sure that is checked, or un-checked, as wanted.

Moxie
    Participant
    7p
    Bay Area

Okay, so I’ve switched allcom todaily digest, hopefully that will help with the unseasonal barrage of e-mails.  (I don’t mind in summer, but Burning Man is not consuming my thoughts like it does in July and August)

So now, if I’m not checking allcom, and I subscribe to a topic, will I still get a separate thread of e-mails for that topic?

Also, google geeks.  Earlier in the day I tried to make this go away by using filters.  It went into the filterbut didn’t stop showing up in my inbox.  I checked the “skip the inbox” box.  Is there something obvious that I missed?  I know how to have emails from specific senders automatically deleted, but that seems a bit extreme in this case.

Thanks a bunch, Moxie

Also, @Flint  I appreciate that this came about because you are trying to make something that works for as many people as possible, that must be  challenging, as we aren’t the most homogenous bunch in the world.  Thanks for all the hard work, Moxie

Silent Wolf
    Participant
    3p

I keep hearing people saying that the “forum” is less useful and harder to participate on, why is that? Is it because you have to be on a site other that your Gmail site (or what ever email addy you use)?

I find forums real easy to search for info, no longer having to scroll through allcomm emails to find where someone said something about some great gear that they found. Go to the Gear forum and search (I suspect that our search at the moment is basic, but this can all change based on what is needed.

If I just want to participate in some “Burn Barrel” chatting, I can go there and see what’s been brought up lately, . . . if I like I can add on to those subjects faster than I can in my email site. And, if we can get this supported on Tapatalk you can stay actively involved w/ just a handheld/ smartphone.

Moxie
    Participant
    7p
    Bay Area

Perhaps the forum would be more popular if it was more like tribe, with blogs no one wants to read and creepy guys messaging you with pictures of their underwear and rants about love and radical acceptance.  Or not.   <— missing tribe now

Smitty
    Participant
    1p

Maybe we could start a LiveJournal community?

</sarcasm>

Moxie
    Participant
    7p
    Bay Area

@Flint I think I figured this one out:

So now, if I’m not checking allcom, and I subscribe to a topic, will I still get a separate thread of e-mails for that topic?”    and in doing so I discovered that

The edit button is gone!  How do I remove questions I no longer need answers to when the edit button is gone?  I miss my cute little edit button.

If you don’t want the confusion of people editing things other people have replied to, you could have the post say that it’s been editied. Some forums do that and then people put a disclaimer at the bottom i. e.

edited because my link to a picture of a unicorn shooting a rainbow out of it’s ass accidentally went to the NAMBLA homepage, fixed now, sorry about that.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.