Uploading Photos, How?

Black Rock Rangers Forums Forum Protocols Uploading Photos, How?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nuke 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Silent Wolf
    Participant
    3p

This would be a great place to as Ask & Answer that question.

Crow asked ~

“So, can’t figure out how to post a pic here. Lefty, you seem to be saying that pics must be hosted somewhere (else) in the interwebs in order to make it work here? (Your pics did not display HERE, btw.) If so, then i guess this forum thang isn’t really much of an archive?

Can someone edumacate me on how this works? (I can’t even make my avatar work, despite jumping thru the flaming hoop at Gravatar over a week ago, and posting a pic that is  ow theoretically accessible to everywhere on the web except the one and only place i wanted to post it…?!) What is the issue with uploading a picture?”

This will make it real easy to search for that answer in the future, instead of in the “Gear” sub-forum, under “Where am I Rangering . . .”               Hell, I wouldn’t have thought of looking for it there ;)

I can’t, at this time, answer that question, . . .but someone will,  . . . and someone will search for it before starting there own thread about the same info. Now it’s easy :)

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

This is what works for me. Grab an image hosting service (I use Flickr, but you can use SmugMug, TinyPic, Photobucket, your own site, etc.). Many of them are free with some limitations.

[If you know a bit about HTML, this will come as a basic lesson.] You’ll need to find the address to your image. When creating a post that contains the image you want, place that address in the following HTML tag between the quotes < img src="">

…like this < img src="http://www.example.com/image.gif">

(because the system will take HTML tags and make them into “real” tags, remove the space after the first bracket.)
    That’s it; pretty simple.

Now why aren’t we hosting all (and I do mean ALL) images on the server? Because people are notorious for not trimming down the sizes of their photos. This is a huge drain on the drive space, of which there is a vague limit on.

Silent Wolf
    Participant
    3p

If I’m correct, that means that once that photo is no longer at that address it’s a broken link and will show up as no photo in the post.

Will we be able to add an “uploader/ manage attachments”  (plugin?) to this platform, if we have enough space to store photos? And some kind of filter to keep anyone from uploading anything bigger than xx(x?)-megs of space?

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

I’m hesitant to do so for the size reasons, but maybe we can try it as a trial basis to see how it works out.

If you kids promise not to get to crazy with your LOL-khaki photos and videos of Easy E & Tool doing karaoke at the 10-7, maybe we can do this.

Fez Monkey
    Participant
    2p
    San Francisco

Okay.  Not knowing the html thingy I posted a photo in a more direct fashion.  I found the pic I wanted on facebook, right clicked and did a copy and paste thusly.

Lets see if it works with flickr:

Yup.

Fez Monkey
    Participant
    2p
    San Francisco

Hmm, I wonder can everyone see the first image (keep calm) or do you have to Facebook rights?

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

@Fez Monkey said:
    Hmm, I wonder can everyone see the first image (keep calm) or do you have to Facebook rights?

I can see the image.

+1

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

So we’re going to try an experiment. I’ve added a way for folks who want to create attachments to their posts. These images will be saved on the system, so you don’t need to have a third-party host. However, they will not be displayed inline (nicely placed where you’d like them in your message) and will show at the bottom as an attachment.

If you want your images conveniently placed where you want them, follow the directions listed above. Otherwise they’ll be loving placed at the bottom of your message.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    +1

riffraff
    Participant
    2p
    Near Seattle

I have too many Ranger photos to upload here, so I started a thread in the History topic – http://rangers.burningman.com/forums/topic/pictures-or-it-didnt-happen/

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

I’ve noticed some of you are trying to post photos as attachments that go beyond the set maximum file size limit. I’ve kicked up the restriction up to 1MB. That should solve some of you woes. Any other woes will be handled in the order in which they are received.

nuke
    Participant
    1p

Do we have low enough level access to the server to put something in place that would automatically resize jpgs that are too large?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Forum Protocols’ is closed to new topics and replies.