Welcome, Introduce Yourself!

Black Rock Rangers Forums Alphas Welcome, Introduce Yourself!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lens 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

Welcome! If you’re looking to become a Burning Man Black Rock Ranger, you’re in the right spot. If you haven’t done so already, please check out the requirements, qualifications, and process on how to become a Ranger. Once you have attended a Ranger training, you are considered an Alpha Ranger.

Until then, please introduce yourself. Give us a bit of background about yourself, how you heard about the Rangers, and why you’d like to become a Ranger. If you have any questions about the process or what it’s like to be a Ranger, we’re here to answer your questions.

Anonymous
    0p

Hello, I am callsign Whatsblem (which is short for “Whatsblem the Pro”).

Many years ago, I spent over four years as an EMT running ambulance calls (some 911, some non-emergent) in Oakland, California. I still have that feeling of wanting to help when I see people in trouble, and that’s what prompted me to look into becoming a Ranger.

I’m primarily a writer, and in pursuit of that vocation I have done a huge number and variety of jobs, giving me a broad (and deep in spots) array of experiences and skills on which to draw. On the Playa, I like to roam around at random, usually by myself, and just sort of let things unfold. Last year I spent a day walking the entire length of Funeral, stopping at a random camp on each block to offer a reading of one of my short stories, or a poem, or an amusing anecdote, and I was generously gifted many things in return. It was a great little journey and it seems to me like something that dovetails nicely with being Rangerly. . . so here I am.

flint
    Keymaster
    37p
    SF Bay Area

I realized I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Ranger Flint and have been a ranger going on six years now. I’ve been a Volunteer Coordinator, Green Dot, RNR (Rapid Night Response), Mentor, and currently am a special consultant to the Ranger Council. Above all, I’m a dirt Ranger.

Before this, I’ve volunteered for several other departments, built large-scale playa art, and a camp coordinator for theme camps. Yet none of them quite clicked for me as a way to become a solid participant of Black Rock City. Now most of the time you’ll never see a Ranger until you really need one, as they stay unobtrusively out of the way. I spotted a couple of Rangers on patrol who stopped by to say, “Hello.” I hadn’t a clue on who they were or what they did, so I asked. I was amazed that this community-based, selfless service existed. It was then that I immediately set in motion the desire to pursue this volunteer role.

I’m grateful that I have done so.

Anonymous
    0p

Greetings,
    My call sign / handle Loretta. I am currently living in the SF bay area and work in the construction trade.I am married to Katrina and have a sweet little English Retriever named Lucy.
    This will be my 5th trip to the Playa and the reason or draw for me to volunteer for becoming a Ranger started in motion on my second trip to BRC and was sealed this past burn. I was packing up to leave on a Wednesday afternoon when a couple of Rangers just happened to stop by. When ask, I told them I was leaving because I just didn’t get the whole draw to BM and why people would return year after year. One of the two Rangers just put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye, smiled and said “you might want to head out to the Temple tonight about 6:00. Climb up and have a look around”. They wished me to have a safe travel and walked on.
    That night I sat dumbfounded, amazed, totally blown away at what I was seeing. This whole amazing city of light, art and life created just for me. I knew then I needed to give back. At this last burn, while I was standing as a “Guardian” during the CT ride my friend Ranger Happy 13 stopped by and thanked me for doing what I was doing as well as did a few other Rangers. That’s when I made up my mind to try and join this group. This is how I hope to give back to the community.
    I look forward meeting, working, hanging out and laughing to as many of you as I can.
    Loretta

Ice Cream
    Participant
    5p

Welcome one and all to the Ranger forums! For those of you who have completed your full day of Ranger training, welcome to being an Alpha Ranger!

I am Ranger Ice Cream, and to a few of you who know me from Center Camp Village I am also called Frisco. 2012 will be my fifth week at TTITD and my fourth as a Ranger. I am and will always faithfully remain a Dirt Ranger first and foremost as it should be. That is where we practice our Art of Rangering. That is where we facilitate participant self-help. That is where we mediate disputes when boundaries are stretched a bit too far for one’s comfort zone. That is where we give and receive Ranger Love and build social capital that greases the dusty wheels of our great temporary civilization. In addition, I am part of the Ranger Training Academy and Scribe of the Ranger Operations Team. If you attend training and read your manual you’ll learn a lot about both of those organizations.

My story of becoming a Ranger is a bit serendipitous and involves Ice Cream, which is my business not just my name. In 2006, The Ben Cohen, of Ben & Jerry’s fame, called me up and asked if I would help him out with a gift to his family at a gathering in the desert in Nevada. You see, he wanted to gift 12k scoops of ice cream to the citizens of Black Rock City to say thank you for all that everyone had given him over the years. Having grown up on Baker Beach in San Francisco, I instantly said yes! One thing led to another, and I attended my first year on playa with a metric-ass ton of ice cream in tow. I got to see and admire the Rangers during that eye-opening year and vowed that if I ever came back I would want to be a Ranger. Fast forward three years and they gave me a hat, a lam and a radio and told me to “go Ranger”!

I’ll never forget that first shift. I’ll never fully appreciate all of the lessons I learn during every interaction with participants about life, the universe and everything including myself. When it comes to Rangering, my goal is simple, yet will take a lifetime to perfect…in any situation involve myself as little as possible to help participants achieve the outcome they want for themselves; and I always seek to leave the situation better than had I never walked up to it in the first place. We are facilitators and mediators with experience, training, our Ranger partner and above all access to Khaki and resources to back us up when needed. I am grateful to be part of this khaki family and the role we play in BRC. I do hope to see you in training, on playa, and in khaki too.

Peace, love and
    Ice Cream

DiverDave
    Participant
    6p

Howdy Alphas!

I am DiverDave, I have been going to the ‘Gerlach Regional” since 2010 and Burning Virtually (Yep!) since 2007. I am a Technogeek and lover of SCUBA diving since I was a kid, thus the call sign DiverDave. I like to 1) Do Nothing or as little as possible to facilitate a mo’ awesome Burn for people I meet while wandering the dust and 2) Ask fun questions that make ya think. I have worked in the DMV as a Hottie both on Playa and ran the Virtual DMV over at BURN2. I am also one of three Burning Man Regional Reps to Second Life with the awesome mission of bringing Burning Culture to the whole dang world through the Second Life interface. You can find me over there as EmCee Widget. Stop laughing..I heard you! =D

Since I have been involved with Burning Man I have always identified myself as a facilitator and a mediator in one flavor or another. I went into my Alpha shifts with an open mind and the best piece of advice that I kept getting before the shifts from a bunch of seasoned Rangers was to “have fun.” Have FUN?” C’mon DiverDave you say! This is the decision point! I gotta have my protocols down! I gotta have my internal GPS working! Dear Gawd I gotta order a Utilikilt! I gotta know where my pad of paper is at all times! I gotta remember what Logic-B means! Ya know what? It is the best piece of advice you can get. Be loose, have fun. Enjoy everyone and build social capital. It all will follow from that.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  DiverDave.

Anonymous
    0p

Hey all, Harinama here.
    (My playa name was rejected..who knows what my handle will be? :roll: )

I am very excited to have the opportunity to join with the BRC Rangers this year as an Alpha. For 7 years as a BRC resident, i have watched with impressed amazement at the work that the Rangers do, and the quality of the people involved. Born and raised in the NW, i love the outdoors. My background includes first aid and outdoor emergency response skills, but i find mental clarity, communication, respect and patience to be of utmost importance in many situations. A clear head making smart decisions with an open heart is where it’s at.

I have no illusions about the duties as a Ranger, and I can only imagine the types of situations I will be called into. I care about the BRC community, and would love the opportunity to mediate in a direct, meaningful way with it’s residents, and help keep them safe, if somewhat congenial. I bring a big smile, a strong compassionate heart and a patient focused intention. I can’t wait to meet all of you.

Take care,

Harinama

Citizen
    Participant
    0p

Howdy. Yard Sale here. I’m from Montana where I fix computers and serve on my local City Council. That’s a care-taking role at its best, which is why I’m participating as a Ranger. This is my 3rd year, the first in 2006 was with Media Mecca and last year, well, the best made plans evaporate and better ones get enacted. I dig social experiments and this computer based on art and the absence of commerce is a damn special one. Looking forward to meeting you.

Lens
    Participant
    0p

Howdy Rangers,

I am Ranger Lens and have been rangering since 2009. My introduction to the playa was a close friend who insisted I attend. He refused to accept any of my objections and provided a ticket, transportation and most everything else I’d need. Since that year, I have provided one (or more) tickets for family and friends who have yet to make it out to the event.

If you see me around, hit me up, I’d be happy to walk a shift with you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Alphas’ is closed to new topics and replies.